Sunday, July 25, 2010

Fresh Fettuccini with Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce


July in New York was officially categorized as the hottest on record. There has been absolutely no break and although you might think that I have no right to complain when some States are seeing temperatures in the 100s, you need to have lived in New York during the summer to understand what I am going through. I love my City and will rarely have anything bad to say, but the humidity is horrible, the air quality oppressive, and if you think its bad above ground try taking the subway. I lived in Greece when temperatures were in the high 120s, and I can assure you this is worse.

Despite the heat, Saturday was the New Amsterdam Market and if you read my last post you probably already know that nothing would have kept me away. As it turned out I also was going to be hosting an impromptu dinner party so I needed inspiration and ingredients. Although ice cream was a given, I still was trying to make up my mind regarding an entrée. My first thought was fresh pasta with a meat sauce, but that seemed heavy and got nixed quickly. For a moment I thought about a quiche, but I had visions of melting pastry dough and an oven not being able to keep up with my AC. After some time, it finally came to me! I was going to make fresh fettuccini with a fresh tomato basil sauce. Its refreshing, light and requires limited prep and minimal clean up.

Although this sauce can be made with any tomatoes, I love using small heirloom tomatoes of various colors since it adds to the presentation.

Fresh oregano can be used instead of dry, but it was hot and I was tired so I decided to make due with what was in my pantry. This dish is delicious with fresh pasta, but I imagine it would be as good with any dry pasta, like fusilli or penne.

Fresh Fettuccini with Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce

- 2 pints cherry, grape tomatoes halved or quartered

- 10 basil leaves rolled and thinly sliced

- 2-4 garlic cloves crushed (depending on their size and how much you like garlic)

- 1 teaspoon dried oregano

- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (or more if you like heat)

- ½ cup olive oil

- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Combine all the ingredients in a non-reactive bowl and allow to sit at room temperature for 2-3 hours.


Toss with cooked pasta and serve with freshly grated parmesan.

Stay cool! Next post, ice pops!

2 comments:

I, Aries and The Art of PrideRings1 said...

Food Advo(Kat).... fabulous summer dish and looks incredibly beautiful on the plate. Will be making this for sure.

Devaki said...

Perfect Kat! we're suffering 106 deg today so I am right there with you. So refreshing to just toss the pasta with these fresh herb infused tomatoes.

Love it!

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors